“Linguists do it” jokes, courtesy of the University at Buffalo Linguistics Department. (Bolded ones were my contributions to the board.)
- Statisticians do it normally
- Neurolinguistics do it in their heads
- Chomskians do it minimally
- Agents do it to their Patients with their Instruments
- Sociolinguists do it with class
- The horse raced past the barn does it in a garden
- Reduplication does it does it
- Syntacticians do it with trees
- Descriptivists say how others do it
- OT does it on a table
- Documentary linguists do it in the field
- HPSG does it without movement
- Semanticists do it with meaning
- Phonologists do it without meaning
- Prescriptivists tell you how to do it
- MVS does it with everything
- Pragmaticists do it politely
- Ellipsis does…
- Saussure does it symbolically
- ASL does it with hands
- Colorless green ideas do it furiously
- Sentiment analysis does it with feeling
- Isolates do it by themselves
- Formants do it with frequency
- Transformational Grammar does it with (covert) movement
- Phoneticians do it with moving articulators
- A wug does it. Now there are two of them. Two _______ do it.
- MRS does it again and again, but only as often as needed.
- Semanticists do it with every farmer and his donkey.
- Piraha doesn’t do it.
- Sociolinguists do it with variation
- Mesospace does it with toy animals
- Grice does it with Quality and Manner, in Quantity and with Relevance
- Formal semanticists do it with models
Labovians do it on the fourth floor of Macy’s.
Syntacticians do it with binding.
Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo into doing it.
Tumblinguists do it with feels.